Table of Contents:
- Griha Pravesh Shubh Muhurat dates in 2021
- Griha Pravesh dates in January 2021 (Magha)
- Griha Pravesh dates in February 2021 (Faghun)
- Griha Pravesh dates in March 2021 (Chaitra)
- Griha Pravesh dates in April 2021 (Baisakha)
- Griha Pravesh dates in May 2021 (Baisakha/Jyeshta)
- Griha Pravesh dates in June 2021 (Jyestha/Ashadh)
- Griha Pravesh dates in July 2021 (Ashadh/Shravan)
- Griha Pravesh dates from mid-July to October 2021 (Shravan, Bhadrapad, Ashwin, Kartik)
- Griha Pravesh dates in November 2021 (Kartik/Margashirsha)
- Griha Pravesh dates in December 2021 (Margashirsha/Paus)
- Types of Griha Pravesh puja
- How is Griha Pravesh Puja performed?
- Griha Pravesh Dos and Don'ts
- Make Your Griha Pravesh Memorable
Moving into a home that you can call your own is a moment of joy and happiness. So to mark the day and ward off any negative energies and bring happiness and prosperity to the new place, the Griha Pravesh ceremony is performed with proper rituals to ensure only positivity and success stays, and negativity or evil forces are kept at bay. For this, the Hindu lunar calendar or Panchang is checked for the most suitable date to perform the Griha Pravesh puja. Here we have given a quick overview of how the puja is performed. Also, we’ve listed the available auspicious dates and times of Griha Pravesh Muhurat in 2021.
Griha Pravesh Shubh Muhurat Dates in 2021
Griha Pravesh’s dates may vary from region to region. Here we have listed all the available Griha Pravesh muhurat in 2021 as per the Hindu calendar or Panchang.
|January (Magha)||January 9||Saturday||Ekadashi|
|February (Phalguna)||February 12||Friday||Dauj|
|March (Chaitra)||March 8||Monday||Dashami|
|April (Vaisakha)||April 1||Thursday||Chaturthi|
|June (Ashadha)||June 4||Friday||Ekadashi|
|July (Ashadh/Shravan)||July 1||Thursday||Saptami|
|November (Kartik/Margashirsha)||November 5||Friday||Dauj|
|December (Margashirsha/Paus)||December 13||Monday||Dashami|
- If you are planning to shift in December, then perform Griha Pravesh in the starting days falling in the lunar month of Margashirsha. However, avoid doing the same in the month of Paush as it attracts bad fortune.
- Avoid moving into a new home during the period of Holashtak, which starts eight days before Holi.
Griha Pravesh dates in January 2021 (Magha)
- January 9, Saturday – Ekadashi
Consult the priest for more suitable dates as per your horoscope.
Griha Pravesh dates in February 2021 (Faghun)
- February 12, Friday- Dauj
- February 14, Sunday- Chauth
- February 15, Monday – Panchmi
- February 20, Saturday-Navmi
- February 22, Monday- Ekadashi
We recommend consulting the priest before finalizing any date.
Griha Pravesh dates in March 2021 (Chaitra)
- March 8, Monday-Dashmi
- March 9, Tuesday- Ekadashi
- March 14, Sunday- Pratipada
- March 15, Monday-Dauj
Griha Pravesh’s ceremony muhurat in February should be considered only after consulting with a priest.
Griha Pravesh dates in April 2021 (Baisakh)
- April 1, Thursday- Chaturthi
- April 11, Sunday- Amavasya
- April 16, Friday- Chaturthi
- April 20, Tuesday- Ashtami
- April 26, Monday- Chaturdashi
These are all generic muhurat dates for Griha Pravesh. Always consult with a priest before performing the puja.
Griha Pravesh dates in May 2021 (Baisakha/Jyeshta)
- May 13, Thursday – Dauj
- May 14, Friday – Tritiya
- May 21, Friday – Dashmi
- May 22, Saturday – Ekadashi
- May 24, Monday – Teras
- May 26, Wednesday – Pratipada
Consider performing Griha Pravesh on Akshaya Tritiya as it is considered one of the most auspicious days for a housewarming ceremony.
Griha Pravesh dates in June 2021 (Jyestha/Ashadh)
- June 4, Friday – Ekadashi
- June 5, Saturday – Ekadashi
- June 19, Saturday – Dashmi
- June 26, Saturday – Dauj
Griha Pravesh dates in July 2021 (Ashadh/Shravan)
- July 1, Thursday – Saptami
Griha Pravesh dates from mid-July to October 2021 (Shravan, Bhadrapad, Ashwin, Kartik)
No auspicious dates are available from mid-July to October 2021. This is because it’s believed that Griha Pravesh during this period brings in negative energy. But property owners can consult with the priest and check for any available muhurat.
Griha Pravesh dates in November 2021 (Kartik/Margashirsha)
- November 5, Friday – Dauj
- November 6, Saturday – Tritiya
- November 10, Wednesday – Saptami
- November 20, Saturday – Dauj
- November 29, Monday – Dashmi
Griha Pravesh dates in December 2021 (Margashirsha/Paus)
- December 13, Monday – Dashmi
Types of Griha Pravesh Pujas
According to Hindu Traditions, the Griha Pravesh Ceremony can be conducted in three ways:
- Apoorva: Apoorva Griha Pravesh is conducted when you are entering a newly constructed home.
- Sapoorva: If someone is re-entering their house after a long time, Sapoorva Griha Pravesh is done.
- Dwandhav: Choose the Dwandhav Griha Pravesh ceremony if you have left home due to natural calamity and returned after a long time.
How is Griha Pravesh Puja performed?
Few important rituals need to be performed for the Griha Pravesh ceremony to be successful. The most important ones are Vastu Pooja and Hawan Shanti. Let’s see how the Griha Pravesh Puja is performed.
1. Select an Auspicious Muhurat
In Hindu tradition, specific dates are mentioned in the Hindu calendar or Panchang, which are considered auspicious to enter the new home. For example, four months in the lunar calendar are lauded to attract good luck and prosperity – Magha, Phalguna, Baisakh, and Jyeshta. So, deciding a Griha Pravesh date on any of these dates will benefit the entire family.
Pro-Tip: Never perform Griha Pravesh Puja on Saturday, Sunday, & Tuesday as fierce planets have more substantial impacts these days and can lead to negative implications.
2. Decorate the Place With Auspicious Items
A beautiful home attracts divine energies and joy. Using mango leaves and fresh marigold flowers are considered auspicious in Hindu customs and rituals. They bring positivity to the new house. Rangoli is also made on the housewarming day to mark celebratory spirits.
3. Vaastu Puja
This Puja is performed before stepping into the new house. First, a Brahmin priest recites Mantras to appease the Vaastu deity and seek the blessings for a happier and healthier home. Then, the head of the family breaks an ash guard, and the lady of the family fails the coconut, and both are left at the threshold of the new house.
Havan or Griha Shanti puja is performed to ask for forgiveness from God for the three sins committed during the construction of your house – digging of the earth, cutting of trees, and breaking of stones. But, first, Lord Ganesha and Navgrahas are worshipped to remove negativities and purify the new home. Then, Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped to seek financial prosperity and well-being. Later, people offer ghee, turmeric, rice, pumpkin, milk, etc., to the sacred fire to ensure the five elements attain a peaceful balance. Then, after Havana, the lady of the house boils the milk at a particular time and lets it spill over to signify abundance and wealth. It is then offered to the Kula devata and all the available members. You can also perform Ganpati Puja or Satyanarayan Puja after the completion of Vastu Puja.
5. Kalash Puja
For this Puja, prepare a Mangal Kalash: make a Swastika with Kumkum on a brass pot or earthen pot, place it in the house entrance filled with holy water, nine different grains, and a coin in the Northeast direction. Also, put a red cloth wrapped coconut on top of the Kalash with mango leaves at the bottom of the coconut. Then, the man and the woman of the house carry this Kalash inside the house, putting their right foot first and place it near the Havana kund.
Pro-Tip: Keep an oil lamp burning overnight to attract positive energies and divinity in the house, and someone must stay in the new home overnight.
Griha Pravesh Dos and Don'ts
- Consult a priest to perform puja.
- Decorate the entrance of your home with mango leaves and make colorful rangoli at the entrance of the house.
- Put the Lord Ganesha, Sri Yantra, and conch shell to welcome Goddess Laxmi into your new abode.
- Conduct a Vastu puja before Griha Pravesh.
- Before entering the house, break a coconut on the entrance gate. It removes all the obstacles.
- Purify the kitchen by lighting a Diya, incense sticks in the kitchen, and make the symbol of Swastika on the gas stove with turmeric, kumkum, and rice. Last, place jaggery and green vegetables in the kitchen for positivity.
- Give Dakshina to a Brahmin or someone poor.
- Do not leave the house vacant after the ceremony. Someone must stay there overnight on the day of Griha Pravesh Puja.
- Never shift the furniture except for the gas cylinder or stove unless the Vastu puja is performed.
- Irrespective of the Griha Pravesh muhurat dates available, never perform the puja if the family is mourning the death of a close relative.
- No pregnant lady should perform or attend the Griha Pravesh ceremony.
Make Your Griha Pravesh Memorable
We have listed all the Griha Pravesh Muhurat in 2021 to help you understand how things are to be done. But it’s always good to visit your priest to get the appropriate dates depending upon the star, nakshatra, and tithis to get the best benefit out of the Griha Pravesh Puja. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event for any house. So, take your time and decide the date carefully while keeping all the details in mind. Then, send invites to your family and friends to make it more blissful and memorable.
1. How to do Griha Pravesh puja without a priest?
After cleaning the house, you can organize a small havan and can chant the Gayatri mantra or Navgrah Mantra. Alternatively, you can also install Lord Ganesha’s idol and pray to remove all the obstacles in your life. His blessings are taken especially on the day of Griha Pravesh.
2. Can we shift household items before Griha Pravesh puja?
No, you should avoid shifting anything apart from the gas cylinder to your new house before the Griha Pravesh.
3. Can we do Griha Pravesh puja after shifting?
No, Griha Pravesh is ideally done before moving to a new house. Even, the Vastu puja must be performed just outside the house.
4. What to do for Griha Pravesh pooja?
The first thing that you have to do is Vastu Puja which should ideally be done just outside your house. Then, while entering your house you can do Kalash Puja and finally, when you have cleaned the house, you can perform a havan or Satyanarayana (Lord Vishnu’s) Puja which is believed to bring good luck, stability, and peace to the house. You can light mud lamps and distribute sweets afterward. It is best to consult a local priest to perform all these prayers properly.
5. Which date is good for Griha Pravesh?
Panchami, Dwitiya, Ekadashi, Tritiya, Saptami, Dwadashi, Dashami, and Trayodashi of Shukla Paksha are generally considered favorable for Griha Pravesh. For further details you can check the availability of dates in the calendar above or consult a priest.
6. How to find an Auspicious day for Griha Pravesh?
Generally, Tuesdays are not considered suitable for house warming ceremonies. Purnima, Amavasya and the days of Lunar & Solar eclipse must be avoided as these are considered unsuitable. Check the transit of Shukra (Venus) and Brihaspati (Jupiter) if they are Ast (Set) at the time of Grah Pravesh, then that period should also be skipped. One must check with the priest for the accurate tithi and nakshatra before you decide a day.
7. Is Saturday good for Griha Pravesh?
Yes, you can perform Griha Pravesh pooja on Saturday. Rest, it depends on the Tithi and nakshatra of that day.
8. Which Nakshatra is good for housewarming?
Experts suggest some of the most auspicious nakshatras for Griha Pravesh. These are: Uttara Bhadrapada Uttara Phalguni Uttarashadha Rohini Margashira Chitra Anuradha Nakshatra