Moving into a home that you can call your own is a moment of joy and happiness. So to mark the day and ward off any negative energies and bring happiness and prosperity to the new place, the Griha Pravesh ceremony is performed with proper rituals to ensure only positivity and success stays, and negativity or evil forces are kept at bay. For this, the Hindu lunar calendar or Panchang is checked for the most suitable date to perform the Griha Pravesh puja. Here we have given a quick overview of how the puja is performed. Also, we’ve listed the available auspicious dates and times of Griha Pravesh Muhurat in 2021.
How is Griha Pravesh Puja performed?
Few important rituals need to be performed for the Griha Pravesh ceremony to be successful. The most important ones are Vastu Pooja and Hawan Shanti. Let’s see how the Griha Pravesh Puja is performed.
1. Select an Auspicious Muhurat
In Hindu tradition, specific dates are mentioned in the Hindu calendar or Panchang, which are considered auspicious to enter the new home. For example, four months in the lunar calendar are lauded to attract good luck and prosperity – Magha, Phalguna, Baisakh, and Jyeshta. So, deciding a Griha Pravesh date on any of these dates will benefit the entire family.
Pro-Tip: Never perform Griha Pravesh Puja on Saturday, Sunday, & Tuesday as fierce planets have more substantial impacts these days and can lead to negative implications.
2. Decorate the Place With Auspicious Items
A beautiful home attracts divine energies and joy. Using mango leaves and fresh marigold flowers are considered auspicious in Hindu customs and rituals. They bring positivity to the new house. Rangoli is also made on the housewarming day to mark celebratory spirits.
3. Vaastu Puja
This Puja is performed before stepping into the new house. First, a Brahmin priest recites Mantras to appease the Vaastu deity and seek the blessings for a happier and healthier home. Then, the head of the family breaks an ash guard, and the lady of the family fails the coconut, and both are left at the threshold of the new house.
Havan or Griha Shanti puja is performed to ask for forgiveness from God for the three sins committed during the construction of your house – digging of the earth, cutting of trees, and breaking of stones. But, first, Lord Ganesha and Navgrahas are worshipped to remove negativities and purify the new home. Then, Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped to seek financial prosperity and well-being. Later, people offer ghee, turmeric, rice, pumpkin, milk, etc., to the sacred fire to ensure the five elements attain a peaceful balance. Then, after Havana, the lady of the house boils the milk at a particular time and lets it spill over to signify abundance and wealth. It is then offered to the Kula devata and all the available members. You can also perform Ganpati Puja or Satyanarayan Puja after the completion of Vastu Puja.
5. Kalash Puja
For this Puja, prepare a Mangal Kalash: make a Swastika with Kumkum on a brass pot or earthen pot, place it in the house entrance filled with holy water, nine different grains, and a coin in the Northeast direction. Also, put a red cloth wrapped coconut on top of the Kalash with mango leaves at the bottom of the coconut. Then, the man and the woman of the house carry this Kalash inside the house, putting their right foot first and place it near the Havana kund.
Pro-Tip: Keep an oil lamp burning overnight to attract positive energies and divinity in the house, and someone must stay in the new home overnight.
Griha Pravesh Muhurat in 2021
Griha Pravesh dates may vary from region to region. Here we have listed all the available Griha Pravesh muhurat in 2021 as per the Hindu calendar or Panchang.
|January (Magha)||January 29||Wednesday||12:14 pm to 7:11 am||Uttara Bhadrapada||Panchmi|
|January 30||Thursday||7:11 am to 1:19 pm||Uttara Bhadrapada||Panchmi|
|February (Phalguna)||February 3||Monday||12:52 am to 7:08 am||Rohini||Dashmi|
|February 5||Wednesday||7:07 am to 9:30 pm||Mrigashirsha||Ekadashi|
|February 13||Thursday||9:25 am to 8:46 pm||Chitra||Panchami|
|February 26||Wednesday||6:50 am to 4:11 am||Uttara Bhadrapada, Revathi||Tritiya|
|March (Chaitra)||March 9||Monday||1:09 am to 6:36 am||Uttara Phalguni||Pratipada|
|March 11||Wednesday||7:00 pm to 6:34 am||Chitra||Tritiya|
|March 12||Thursday||6:34 am to 11:58 am||Chitra||Tritiya|
|March 18||Wednesday||1:01 pm to 6:26 am||Uttara Ashadha||Dashami, Ekadashi|
|March 19||Thursday||6:26 am to 2:50 pm||Uttara Ashadha||Ekadashi|
|April (Vaisakha)||April 25||Saturday||8:58 pm to 5:45 am||Rohini||Tritiya|
|April 27||Monday||2:29 pm to 12:30 am||Mrigashirsha||Panchami|
|May(Jyeshtha)||May 8||Friday||8:38 am to 5:34 am||Anuradha||Pratipada, Dwitiya|
|May 18||Monday||5:29 am to 3:08 pm||Uttara Bhadrapada||Ekadashi|
|May 23||Saturday||12:17 am to 5:26 am||Rohini||Dwitiya|
|June (Ashadha)||June 15||Monday||5:23 am to 3:18 am||Revati||Dashami|
|July (Shraavana)||NO GRIHA PRAVESH PUJA DATES AVAILABLE|
|August (Bhadra)||NO GRIHA PRAVESH PUJA DATES AVAILABLE|
|September (Ashwin)||NO GRIHA PRAVESH PUJA DATES AVAILABLE|
|October(Kartik)||NO GRIHA PRAVESH PUJA DATES AVAILABLE|
|November (Kartik/Margashirsha)||November 16||Monday||7:06 am to 2:37 pm||Anuradha||Dwitiya|
|November 19||Thursday||9:39 am to 9:59 pm||Uttara Ashadha||Panchami|
|November 25||Wednesday||6:52 am to 05:10 am||Uttara Bhadrapada, Revati||Ekadashi|
|November 30||Monday||2:59 pm to 6:57 am||Rohini||Pratipada|
|December (Margashirsha/Paus)||December 10||Thursday||10:51 am to 7:04 am||Chitra||Dashami, Ekadashi|
|December 16||Wednesday||8:04 pm to 7:08 am||Uttara Ashadha||Tritiya|
|December 17||Thursday||7:08 am to 03:17 pm||Uttara Ashadha||Tritiya|
|December 23||Wednesday||8:39 pm to 4:33 am||Revati||Dashami|
- If you are planning to shift in December, then perform Griha Pravesh in the starting days falling in the lunar month of Margashirsha. However, avoid doing the same in the month of Paush as it attracts bad fortune.
- Avoid moving into a new home during the period of Holashtak, which starts eight days before Holi. This year Holashtak falls on 3rd March.
Griha Pravesh Dos and Don'ts
- Consult a priest to perform puja.
- Decorate the entrance of your home with mango leaves and make colorful rangoli at the entrance of the house.
- Put the Lord Ganesha, Sri Yantra, and conch shell to welcome Goddess Laxmi into your new abode.
- Conduct a Vastu puja before Griha Pravesh.
- Before entering the house, break a coconut on the entrance gate. It removes all the obstacles.
- Purify the kitchen by lighting a Diya, incense sticks in the kitchen, and make the symbol of Swastika on the gas stove with turmeric, kumkum, and rice. Last, place jaggery and green vegetables in the kitchen for positivity.
- Give Dakshina to a Brahmin or someone poor.
- Do not leave the house vacant after the ceremony. Someone must stay there overnight on the day of Griha Pravesh Puja.
- Never shift the furniture except for the gas cylinder or stove unless the Vastu puja is performed.
- Irrespective of the Griha Pravesh muhurat dates available, never perform the puja if the family is mourning the death of a close relative.
- No pregnant lady should perform or attend the Griha Pravesh ceremony.
Griha Pravesh during Chaitra Navratri
Most people planning to move into their new home find the nine days of Navratri auspicious and a perfect one. But, before performing a housewarming ceremony during the occasion of Chaitra Navratri, one must pacify nine planets.
- Pratipada Tithi – Mars planet/ मंगल ग्रह
- Dwitiya Tithi – Rahu planet/ राहु ग्रह
- Tritiya Tithi – Jupiter planet/ बृहस्पति ग्रह
- Chaturthi Tithi – Saturn planet/ शनि ग्रह
- Panchami Tithi – Mercury planet/ बुध ग्रह
- Sashti Tithi – Ketu/ केतु ग्रह
- Saptami Tithi – Venus planet/ शुक्र ग्रह
- Ashtami Tithi – Sun/ सूर्
Make Your Griha Pravesh Memorable
We have listed all the Griha Pravesh Muhurat in 2021 to help you understand how things are to be done. But it’s always good to visit your priest to get the appropriate dates depending upon the star, nakshatra, and tithis to get the best benefit out of the Griha Pravesh Puja. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event for any house. So, take your time and decide the date carefully while keeping all the details in mind. Then, send invites to your family and friends to make it more blissful and memorable.